|| Museum History
Founding of Cuero, Texas
In 1870 the land holders of DeWitt County petitioned the County to hold an election for the issuance of $100,000. The money was to be used as an enticement for the Gulf, Western Texas and Pacific Railway to extend its line “from the Town of Victoria to a point on the East side of the Guadaloupe River in the County of DeWitt to be called Cuero, and to be designated by the company at a distance not greater than three miles from the Clinton Ferry…”. The election was held and passed in 1871. Also in 1871 The Cuero Land and Immigration Company was formed to develop 4,000 acres. As an additional inducement the company offered 100 acres to bring the railroad terminus to present day Cuero.
Construction of homes and business begun in 1872, and the railroad arrived in 1873. The City Government was formed in 1873 electing a Mayor, Aldermen, a City Reporter and a Constable. In 1876 the County Seat was moved to Cuero. With the terminus of the rail line in Cuero, all freight bound for San Antonio from the Port of Indianola was sent to Cuero by rail and transferred to wagons for delivery to San Antonio. Thus Cuero became a center of government, a major shipping center and an economic hub for the surrounding farms and ranches.
Founding of the Museum
From 1917 to 1964 the building was used as the U.S. Post Office.
After the Post Office moved out the building was used to house all the other local Federal offices. The building at that time became known as the Cuero Federal Building, a name which it still bears. In the mid 1980's the offices were moved out and the building stood empty until 1992 when it was sold to the City of Cuero for $1.00. One of the stipulations for transferring the building to the City was that part of the building had to be used for educational purposes. Hence, the formation of the Cuero Heritage Museum.